Easy recipe to make during those hot summer days. Besides guacamole this is another simple way to eat those ripe avocados. The healthy fats make this pesto sauce very satiating, but the basil is what gives this dish its flavor.
Pesto can be enjoyed as a sandwich spread or with pasta. When serving with a pasta, you can add your choice of protein: chicken, shrimp or bacon pieces. Make it cheesier by adding more parmesan cheese once it is served. Add some kick to it with some chili flakes and/or sun dried tomatoes.
To store leftovers, I recommend placing in an air tight container and smooth out the top. Refrigerate and eat within 2-3 days.
Tags: Gluten Free, Keto, Low Carb
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 cup fresh sweet basil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts (pumpkin seeds or walnuts also work)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Remove basil leaves from the stems and wash thoroughly. Avoid the tiny flowers if any on the tip of the stems. This can make the pesto taste bitter.
- Peel garlic, discard peel, and set aside.
- Peel avocado, discard peel and seed, and cut avocado into four pieces and set aside.
- In a food processor add avocado, basil leaves, lemon juice, water, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Blend until basil leaves have been chopped to your liking. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the food processor.
- For a chunkier texture add the parmesan cheese and nuts at the end and blend for another 10-15 seconds.