I created this recipe for someone close to me who loves corn tortillas. But suffers from joint pain, high cholesterol, is close to being diagnosed with pre-diabetes. The key ingredient in the corn tortillas is turmeric.
Turmeric is a powerful healing food. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help alleviate pain; similar results to ibuprofen. In addition, it also supports blood glucose and decrease total cholesterol. The benefits are increased when it is combined with black pepper and some sort of fat.
Now we can all enjoy corn tortillas that also support the healing process of our bodies.
- 1 cup corn masa
- ¾-1 cups water (warm)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- ½ tablespoon Turmeric (powder)
- Turn on a comal or flat grill on medium high heat. It should be hot before tortillas are placed.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and gradually add ⅔ of water and knead the masa. The masa should be pliable if its too dry add in a little more water. It should be a little more moist than clay.
- Roll all masa into 1 ½ in balls and set a side inside the bowl.
- Line a tortilla press with cut out round pieces of parchment paper, place one masa ball and press.
- Place tortillas on comal and wait about a minute or until they start to inflate then flip. Repeat this step with the remainder masa balls. If tortillas burn lower the heat gradually.